The Interpreter

"And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself." Luke 24:27

My Photo
Name:

I am a storyteller. I tell THE "Story." I am a teller of stories because the "Story" I tell can be told a thousand different ways, but the "Story" is always the same. I love to tell the "Story."

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My Remembrances of Coretta Scott King

Remembering Coretta Scott King
On 31 January 2006, Coretta Scott King, the matriarch of the Civil Rights Movement, joined the church triumphant. As the news of her death broke over NPR radio, I was, ironically, seated at my dining room table writing "thank you" notes. I paused to listen. My heart was deeply saddened, but, as my mind quickly flashed over memories of past moments when I had been privileged to enjoy her presence, I was also grateful. So, I began to compose in my mind a "thank you" note to her.
This "thank you" note was not a note of thanks for her own personal contributions to the Civil Rights Movement and to the memory of her husband, Dr. Martin Luther King, but rather a thank you for her personal gestures of graciousness to me.
During my second year of seminary at Candler School of Theology, one of my courses was the Theology of Dr. Martin Luther King. In this course, we read Dr. King’s own writings; not histories and not other peoples books about him, but his own words. During that semester, our professor, Dr. Noel Erskine, invited Coretta Scott King to speak to our class. As it turned out, she visited our class numerous times.
Her first visit began rather formally with her speaking to us from the head of the class after which we were permitted to ask her questions. But, before the class ended, she was seated in our midst and we had entered into dialogue with her. When she returned thereafter that is the way it always was—an intimate circle of students, teacher, and Coretta Scott King in dialogue.
Sometime after this class had ended, I attended a reception at one of Atlanta’s fine hotels at which Coretta Scott King was also present. When I saw her there I had a great desire to go over and speak to her. So, I did. When I presented myself to her, much to my surprise and amazement, she remembered me. She called me by name, recalled specific comments that had passed between us in class, and she graciously introduced me to her circle of friends. Before we parted, she thanked me for having come to say hello to her.
I often visited the King Center during my time at Candler, for my interest in Dr. King as a theologian did not end with Dr. Erskine’s class. Coretta Scott King was not always there when I visited, but on occasion she was. And each time I saw her she welcomed me most graciously. She was always interested in how my studies were going and never failed to ask me about my family.
Then, a most extraordinary thing happened. During my professional assessment, I was nominated for the John Owen Smith award for excellence in preaching. What this nomination then requires is that the nominees preach before an audience of faculty members, special guests, students, and anyone else who wishes to come. From this preaching event by the nominees, a special committee chooses the recipient of the award.
That year, there were four or five nominees, one of whom was Coretta Scott King’s daughter Bernice. I do not remember the order in which we preached, but I do remember thinking after Bernice preached that she would no doubt be the one recognized for her preaching. She was so powerful, and sounded so much like her father.
Several weeks later, I was astonished to receive a telephone call from the committee informing me that I was to receive the coveted John Owen Smith award for preaching. An even greater acknowledgement, however, in my eyes, was yet to follow. Only a few days had passed after the announcement when I received in the mail a note of congratulations and well wishes from Coretta Scott King.
That note was my last personal contact with Coretta Scott King. But her warmth and grace I have never forgotten. I am grateful for having known her no matter how brief that time was. For Coretta Scott King was truly one of the most gracious and beautiful women I have ever known. Thank you, Coretta Scott King.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home